The Madonna della Stella church was built in 1572, with side chapels dating back to May 1579.

In 1970 the entire structure was declared unsafe due its dilapidated state, and the church was closed to the public. In 1973 Commander Marco Buitoni and his wife Celeste declared their intention to assume responsibility for the restoration of the church, the chaplain’s house and the old hospice, all at their own cost, and in September 1974 the Madonna Della Stella church was reopened to the faithful.